Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Book Spotlight: Basement Blues and Other Stories

Now Featuring:
 
 
 
Basement Blues and Other Stories by J. H. Sked:
 
Basement Blues and Other Stories is a spooky short story collection. The title story introduces the Blue Moon Detective Agency series.

Basement Blues:

Billy's client has a couple of problems.
She's dead, for starters.
She smells bad.
And her laundry equipment is trying to kill her all over again.
Saving the (undead) girl shouldn't be this hard..

Dim:

An unsettling look at what lurks in the shadows and a man with a very justified fear of the dark.

Pushing Janey:

Phan is being haunted on the London underground. But is he hunted - or is he hunting?
 
 
Book Links:
 
 
Excerpt from Basement Blues:

The woman sitting in my office chair was stunning. White blonde hair carefully slicked into a chignon, Dolce & Gabanna bag, smartly tailored blue pants suit. She was also dead, which I was having a bit of an issue with.

Not that I'm prejudiced - my own partners are what you might call life challenged, and I have a little condition of my own - but the smell was getting to me. She'd sprayed some very expensive perfume over herself, and the average human wouldn't have noticed it through the  scent. 
I am not average. I'm also not human, and the scent of decomp was growing stronger by the minute.

Eventually I lunged for the window, pushing the sill up and leaning out for great gulps of fresh night air. It was either that or throw up on our latest client, and I was fairly sure that suit was designer. I couldn't afford the bill.

 "I'm sorry," Susan Armstrong said from behind me. Her vocal cords were starting to rot, giving her a husky, slightly grating voice.
"It isn't your fault," I said, still leaning as far out of the window as I could. I didn't have to turn around to know that she was crying. I could smell it.

Sunset had been nearly twenty minutes ago. Astrid was late and Ruth was in the field. I needed at least one of them here. I never know what to do with a crying woman. How to handle a crying zombie was so far out of my league I might as well be on Pluto.



Author Bio:

J. H. Sked lives in London, England, with several hundred books and a long-suffering flatmate.
When not writing, she reads, paints, works at a day job and is completing a university degree.
Every now and then she finds time to sleep.

Google+ Badge