Thursday, March 24, 2011

Two Underrated Movies

I recently watched two movies that pleasantly surprised me, A Perfect Getaway and the 2010 remake of The Crazies (viewed mostly because I was in need of a Timothy Olyphant fix).  I wasn’t expecting much from either movie, but I enjoyed both films.

The Crazies:
The movie’s plot is a fairly standard “small town turns homicidal and crazy due to mysterious toxin” but it is tense and suspenseful and has some genuinely frightening moments.  The acting is superb and grounds the movie with some emotional depth.  And the fact I watched the movie from start to finish tells you how good it is, because I generally avoid horror flicks.

A Perfect Getaway:
The first thing I will say about this movie is you either buy in to the twisty premise or you don’t.  If you accept the basis, the movie is great; if you reject the plotline you’ll probably feel cheated.
That said, I didn’t mind the plot (but then again I didn’t have a problem with flying a tank in the A-Team) and I thought the movie was fun.  I liked the Hawaii setting, the characters, the mystery, the uncertainty of whether the people are what they seem, and the action-filled ending.  I think it’s an enjoyable film.

Well, there are my thoughts on two films I think are underrated.  Do you have any favourite films that deserve more attention?
















5X6GACWPXAUX

Google+ Badge